Friday, February 18, 2011

Seed Stitch Cowl: Free Pattern

It's not often that I hope for winter to last longer, but I did while I was making this cowl. Months ago I told my dear friends Molly and Lindsey that I'd make them cowls, but (as usual) I got a little distracted with other projects.  Anyhoo, this one's for Molly and I bet it will make all the hipsters on the L train she takes back to Bushwick super jealous.  (Don't worry, Linny.  Yours is in the works and Boston will be cold for a while, I think.)

I didn't knit this one in the round but it still looks good turned on its side because seed stitch looks good on a piece whether it's upright or turned on its side.  So it's basically like knitting a scarf but you'll weave the ends together at the end.  You could also knit this in the round with size 17 circular needles and you'd have no seams, but you'd cast on the amount to go around the whole circle.



When wrapped once it fits pretty snugly and can be pulled up over the chin. 

Can be worn without wrapping it, too.

Here's the pattern:
Yarn - Lion Brand Wool-ease Thick and Quick (I used the whole skein and it wraps around twice nice and tightly)
Size 17 straight needles

Cast on 17 stitches
Row 1: K1 P1 to the end
Row 2: Purl the knit stitches and knit the purl stitches (If what I just said confuses you, here's a video tutorial on Seed Stitch: Seed Stitch
Row 3 to end: Repeat pattern until desired length is achieved with enough yarn left over to weave the two ends together to make a circular scarf.
At desired length, cast off loosely, making sure you have a good 1-2 feet of yarn to weave the ends together with.  When there's one stitch left at the end of casting off, loop the loose yarn through that loop, but don't cut it yet.

Joining the ends: With the loose yarn, lace up the ends together, much like you would shoe laces, making sure to go through the same row of stitches on either side so it looks like a pattern.

Weave in the loose ends: Weave in the ends

1 comment: